Happy New Year!
New Year’s Day is one of my favourite days of the year. I love the idea of a fresh start. New goals, the planning… I love planning! I actually start looking at what I want to do and where I want to go in December but now it’s official. I have a large dry erase 2016 calendar on my fridge and it’s pretty full already! I have also done some reflection back on 2015. I wrote down accomplishments from the past year. While it’s great to goal set and work towards and achieve those goals it’s also really important to understand how far I’ve come. To appreciate the progress that has been made. 2015 was an amazing year! So much fun (the most important thing 🙂 ), huge growth and continued health!
Here are a few of my 2015 accomplishments:
- Started this blog and published 20 posts – so different from anything that I’ve ever done, very much out of my comfort zone at the beginning and so rewarding!
- Had a record revenue year – largely due to an increase in confidence.
- Swam a 500 metre race in Lake Ontario in 50F water – did this with, and to overcome, my fear of cold water.
- Cancelled my cable TV – allowing more time to work towards doing things that are bettering my life (admittedly I still have Netflix but rarely watch it).
- Made decisions for the right reasons – moving away from situations where values didn’t match versus staying for the wrong reasons, money and security.
And most importantly – I am a happier person!
I didn’t accomplish all of the goals that I set for myself in 2015. Actually I would be disappointed if I had. If I accomplished all of the goals it would mean I didn’t set enough goals or they weren’t big enough. Some I accomplished, some are still in progress and others have been deferred. Did I fail? No. I didn’t fail. If my only accomplishments were the 5 above I wouldn’t have failed (and those are only a sample). By reviewing my accomplishments, which I do weekly, I know that I am moving forward which encourages me to do more. I’m not aiming for perfection, I’m aiming for progress.
And I am shocking myself as I write this… I am going to let you in on some of my goals for 2016. This is shocking because I don’t usually talk about my goals until they are well under way for fear of having to tell people that no, I’m not actually going to do that. So nothing like holding myself accountable to the 200 or so people who read this!!
Some of my 2016 Goals:
- Swim 365 kms in 2016 – this will definitely be a challenge!
- 10K open water swim race – to put this in perspective that’s 400 lengths of a 25 metre pool but in open water – can’t touch the bottom, no walls. To date the longest open water swim I have done is 5K…
- Start strength training – this will require me hiring a trainer as I dislike doing it and can’t seem to do it on my own. This is definitely out of my comfort zone!
- Complete my kitchen renovation – I’m not doing it myself – this should read: hire a contractor, make the decisions and pay for it!
- Read 30 minutes per day – I love to read but don’t make it a priority… except when I am on vacation… maybe I should take more trips 😉
So what are your goals for 2016? I’d love to hear them!
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream ~ C.S. Lewis